Tuesday, April 03, 2007

...Raveonettes Concert...


About a month ago, JK and I (G-Man) went to a concert of his choice, The Raveonettes…they were visiting NYC and that night played in Brooklyn, our home borough, at “Southpaw”…a solid venue for a concert, small enough to get a good spot for viewing, but large enough to leave room in between the smelly stranger you got stuck standing next to…going into the concert, I remained open-minded because that’s just the way that I am…this was JK’s band, and previously I’d listened to the Raveonettes…I liked the music, but was turned off by the apparent voice distortion of vocalists, Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo…JK advised, “When in doubt, just stare at Ms. Foo…she never fails to entertain”…and I quickly observed she was sporting the cleavage for tonight…how thoughtful…

…We got there an hour early for entrance into “Southpaw”…this was to get good spots, and to throw down drinks…another method to create entertainment for self in case the music didn’t supply enough…we maintained by the bar, and I was leaning against it, showing off my backside, for I was wearing my new pair of tighter jeans…JK hit me on the shoulder, which I didn’t appreciate, but he did so to point out that Sharin Foo just walked by…I forgave him…he had informed me that she was white and Asian, a deadly combo, but I didn’t believe it until now…me and Tokyo Rose will make beautiful kid’s…that is for sure…

…A question for Microsoft Word…why does one have to capitalize Asian, but not white?...furthermore…

…Ms. Foo proceeded to sell merchandise to the suckers that were lured by her attractiveness…not sure whether the white or Asian magnet was more powerful tonight…

…Ms. Foo put away the t-shirts and headed for the stage…the concert started and JK and I had a solid spot…one diagonal to the stage and next to the bar…a quick slap to Charlie the bartender and we wouldn’t miss a note while maintaining the drunken zone we had achieved pre-concert…

…Seeing the Raveonettes live changed my mind…as said before, I had liked the music, but seeing them live subtracted the distortion from their voices, equaling some pretty cool music…I imagine their music is similar to parents, fans of 50s and 60s music, seeing their kids create their own version of that era…I’m now a fan of the Raveonettes…unfortunately, the burned copy of their CD JK had is all scratched and not listenable...this is not due to JK being a DJ…the Raveonettes had a real nonchalant vibe to them, in a good way, ending one song and quickly going into the next…

…What ruined the night was what I thought would make it…being next to the bar turned me into the doorway between concert and drink – so the whole concert I heard “Excuse Me, Sorry”…I almost began thinking this was a Raveonettes' classic their fans wanted to hear…but whatever, I now have a new band to waste money on…I recommend seeing the Raveonettes live, along with “Southpaw” as a venue…but…I can’t believe I’m giving this advice…stay away from the bar?...

1 comment:

Johnnyk said...

I agree 147% about seeing them live.....seeing them dead would have been a bummer....