Friday, December 10, 2010

...John Lennon...

...a belated RIP to John Lennon...the Beatle was shot dead in front of The Dakota, his apartment in NYC after coming back from the studio on the evening of Dec. 8, 1980, thirty years ago...I had no idea in high school when we read (or didn't read, will eventually) Catcher in the Rye that Mark David Chapman, the murderer of John Lennon, was reading the book before he shot Lennon...Chapman had seen Lennon outside The Dakota earlier in the day, and Lennon autographed a copy of Double Fantasy for him..."Obviously" I had heard The Beatles' music all my life, from my father's home speakers, to commercials and movie soundtracks...but I never really sat down and listened until I heard Lennon's solo song Working Class Hero...this connected his music to Dylan's for me...and then I came across more of his solo songs, like God, and Look at Me...click on the songs to listen...Look At Me "inspired" (I guess, and forever will) me to write the following; specifically his lyric, "Who am I supposed to be"...and, read below and then the quotes around "Obviously" will make sense, they won't?:

...And so I ask for...
...For was John Lennon singing the soundtrack to my life
when he'd recite - "Who am I supposed to be?"...
...Now we have this degree...
...We want to be free...
...Some got so high on higher education...
...And now don't know how to just simply be...
...Well, obviously...
...So obvious I had to state it was obvious...
...Why is obvious even a word...
...If it is, then it just is...
...Well, obviously...
...I don't have the answers for me...
...And, Mr. Lennon certainly doesn't have all the answers for me...
...But, one thing I do know is...
...That, I've got this music inside of me...
...That's creatin' a riot within me...
...I've got an insecurity that sets my self-esteem on fire...
...So, I'm gonna continue placing Lennon's words through the wire...
...Like Cobain's -
..."To put out the blowtorch"...

No comments: