Wednesday, December 08, 2010

...Homework assignment...sent from Johnnykmusic...


Homework assignment: Write down your all-time favorite songs. NOT those you consider the best, but rather your personal favorites, for whatever reason.

Below is the list I came up with, and then had to narrow it down to 4...click on them to hear:

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Get By - Talib Kweli
Crazy Love - Van Morrison
Road to Rocknroll - Joe Strummer
Trouble Weighs a Ton - Dan Auerbach (of the Black Keys)
Devil's Waitin' - Black Rebel Motorcyle Club
Still Not John, Still Not Yoko - We're Not John and Yoko (girlfriend/me)
The Times They're A-Changin' - Bob Dylan
Cat Power - Live in Bars
Ain't No More Cain - (Traditional) Bob Dylan's live version from The Gaslight Tapes
Sweet Jane - Velvet Underground
Jesus on the Mainline - (Traditional) Mr. Airplane Man's version
Hotel Yorba - White Stripes

(bolded ones were the chosen ones...is that racist in any way?)

...The list could go on forever...because people write their favorite lists, and then I continue creating some of the best music ever...and they have to adjust their lists, they don't?...I'm not?...Ok, well...these were the first 12 songs I immediately thought of...there are 13 listed, but one is not a "real" song...yet...find which one doesn't belong...I narrowed these down to 4...the last song crossed out was Sweet Jane - Velvet Underground...to me that sound is how I hear rocknroll in my head...whatever that means...but you do know what I mean...I chose to go with Get By - Talib Kweli instead...for those that never listened to rap music, well, this is as good as it gets and deserves the respect that all the songs on your list get...todaboconoma for now...good luck with your own lists...and submit it to Johnnykmusic...if anyone ever reads this...I can't believe I left off The White Stripes...and Cat Power's Maybe Not...check out the performance on Letterman...forever second guessing...but there must be a reason I ended up picking 4 of the first 5 I thought of.

1 comment:

Johnnyk said...

Hey, I get another chance!

1. Lived in Bars- Cat Power (forgot about this until G-Man reminded me; that voice! great video, too!)
2. Lay Around the Shanty- Jonathan Edwards (who didn't see this guy at least five times in CT in the 1970's!)
3. Christmas Card From a Hooker In Minneapolis- Tom Waits (last song on my first XMas CD, Johnny K Has the Blues This Christmas; some loved it, many hated it; I think it's a wonderfully sad holiday song)
4. The Wanderer- Dion (Bronx street corner cool back in the day)