Monday, August 09, 2010

...need a dump truck, baby, to unload my head...

...My computer recently went kurplunk...so out of fear of losing a life's work of writing, I'm going to start posting stuff I've written...from memory...

...This is what I remember of this song...after reading, please comment on what you think...

In My Mind Standing...

I sit before you
In my mind standing
When writing
It was like I was planning
Exactly what you are feeling

This moment
Wouldn't it be grand
If we could just hold it - forever
But even Alicia Keys' note must end eventually
The writing
It has to be - a hope
That says eventually I will be that happy
As we once were
A hope -
It's not just an American audacity
A hope -
To one day be naive enough as a kid again
And believe one can change the world
(laugh)
I remember writing this
As Dylan's words swirled through my mind
As they - always will
This may be that prescription
But it ain't no pill
Take a sip
Gain false confidence
Find what you will
To gain another thrill
Whether sober
Or high up on your hill
Everybody's got their own way to deal with life
And this is mine
Through lines
Purpose I try to find
Through lines
I try to find purpose
Was the rephrasing of the last worthless?
I can't believe that to be
Like I cannot grapple what it is to truly be free
Because I've never not been
Or at least like those
Way back when
We're all acting
It feels like life is pretend
But when we were kids
We would pretend
We were professionals
Athletes and such
That certainly wasn't pretend
And all of those experiences we had with childhood friends
We will never experience again
But you can't take them away
Knowing that life can be that good

Proves there can be a better day
But I'm not the first to say
Life is what you make it
And in order to prove to myself that this is all worth it
I have to believe there is a greater stake in it
Than my own dream
Know what I mean?
See -
Bob Dylan was on that stage
When Martin Luther King Jr. recited his -
"I have a dream" speech
Now this here
Is no speech
This here - is a reach
For my dream
Because I do have one
And if you don't
You need to get some
Treat your dream as a tune
And together we must hum
Because like Mick Jagger once-a-sung -
"Lose your dream and lose your mind"
As if we all had a young mind -
Let us run
Not from
But to
I need to convince myself
Not you
That nothing really matters
In order to convince myself
That everything does.

No comments: