Sunday, March 01, 2009

Black Keys’ Concert – Saturday February 7, 2009


The Kennedy bros migrated from The Ridge…that’s slang for Bay Ridge Brooklyn for you foreigners…migrated to Terminal 5 in Manhattan Saturday night to see the Black Keys with an opening act called The Heartless Bastards (new album “The Mountain” in stores now and singer Erika Wennerstrom delivers again)…to avoid dehydration we and some friends quenched our thirst first at Beer Shot Burger bar while watching Uconn Huskies beat Michigan Wolverines in some basketball…did you see the two white dudes on Michigan?...then we took a detour on our way to Terminal 5, doing our best Michael Phelps impression…it wasn’t our cold breath coming out our mouths…and then it was time to see two white guys play some blues…

…early in the day, my bro JK referring to a Black Keys song, “that’s a lot like the Beatles”…I said yeah, but better…somewhat joking but at the same time asking my dad’s generation to admit John Paul George and the other guy are “a little?...just a little???...overrated?...no?...ok…moving on…Nate, the Ok, not the Great, and a long time friend commented, “The Keys sound lil’ like Jimmy”…that’s Hendrix, not the Jimmy from Seinfeld that always referred to himself in 3rd person…So, yes, The Black Keys do have elements of Hendrix and an occasional Beatles influence is noticeable…I still can’t believe THE NERVE of Yoko!!!...also, they are always quickly compared the that other 2-piece band The White Stripes…influences and similarities, yes, but Dan Auerbach (singer/guitarist) and Patrick Carney (drumster) can hold their own – not for Christ’s-sake…these boy’s own Akron, Ohio…the question is…how jealous is Lebron James?

…opening act, Heartless Bastards, as legend has it, were essentially discovered by Carney who saw them perform one night in Ohio (Bastards from Cinci)…Carney let Fat Possum Records know and “the rest is history”? – similar to my just out! Autobiography read as follows, “Names Garrett Dempsey…I was born in 1982 and raised in Southington, Ct is where I’d spend most of my days…and the rest is history”…I will be performing the R-train this week, strumming my One-String Walmart Acoustic that I play “like a motherfucking riot” (Bradley Nowell/Sublime), and HEY CARNEY!, I will be very available to be discovered as well...

…back to The Heartless Bastards…what a name!...band was playing a trivia game and “what was Tom Petty’s back band called?”…and the rest is history…Ericka dumped her former band members, one of which was a former boy friend (Yoko! did it again), but she and the new Bastards still played some classics from their previous two albums – “Searching for the Ghost”, which is a favorite and the first song of theirs I heard…forget cold turkey on this one, it’s to stay in my record collection…check it out on their myspace...the Bastards I’m sure are happy to open for The Black Keys…but I was anticipating this band as much as The Keys and deserve to be headliners…go see them!...Drum roll…

…Black Keys!...Auerbach rocking the overgrown red beard…maybe I should grow…eh…no…and, not all I have to say, but The Black Keys delivered…stop reading this and see them yourself…which you should have plans to do anyways otherwise why read this…still think John Butler Trio is the best concert I’ve seen…and I like the Black Keys albums much better…concert experiences depend on venues and your own mood though…for instance, I saw the Raconteurs and had the runs the whole time…the ‘teurs overcame that and put on a pretty good show…let’s end this with…I wanna see The Keys again and so should you…Dan Auerbach solo effort, Keep It Hid out now!...below is YouTube link to Dan and his Uncle playing a classic from the album, “Trouble Weighs a Ton”…March 2, Auerbach at Williamsburg Hall of Music in Brooklyn and I will be there!

2 comments:

Johnnyk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnnyk said...

Good review, albeit tardy and blasphemous of your elders.

You should go to Piano's in NYC tomorrow night (3/2) to see Sarah Borges. New album out this month.