Monday, March 02, 2009

Insomniac #1


It’s time to write a piece about Insomnia…since I am a ‘Niac that doesn’t make me a pro…I don’t get paid to not sleep; however, it may qualify me to talk about the subject…Yesterday, Sunday, March 1, 2009, I went to bed about 10:10 and 34 seconds...that’s the time I approximately go to bed most school nights…gotta wake up and substitute teach the munchkins…Today, Monday, March 2, 2009, it is 6:59 AM and I still haven’t fallen asleep…attention to detail folks…I actually did fall asleep about 15 minutes after going to bed…then awoke, feeling nice and refreshed…this is a daily routine for me…oh, it’s a work-out and it’s not alright…this piece of writing is going to be the first of many -- I hope not…for now on, I am going to write whenever I can’t sleep…it’s going to be an adventure for us all…and I say - I hope not - because it has been at least 4 years since I have had regular quality – sane sleep…and as the saying goes, if one can’t sleep, write…right?...

Sleep deprivation is a creative stimulant – the steroid for writers…many writers are alcoholics…stay away from the drink and drugs kids…just don’t sleep and your mind will be flying and coming up with all different crazy ideas, like being a writer in the first place…or searching Craigslist for jobs only to be seduced by the Casual Encounters section…proceeded by hitting your head on the keyboard after passing out from exhaustion....and waking up to a gig opportunity for a NYC comedy club, The Laugh Factory…calling some talent booker who asks where you’ve performed before, but you haven’t…except for middle school classrooms back in the golden years when you were still actually funny…but now you’ve realized after subbing middle schoolers – they laugh at EVERYTHING…they must be sleep deprived…and all of this results in you opening up doing stand-up comedy for the first time with, “I think we all agree it’s time Cindy Crawford gets rid of her mole”…funny, yes, but more a political statement…it’s just time…it’s just time…Cindy…

A reason to write this piece though is to realize how serious it is…the one thing I like about Insomnia is that it keeps you dreaming…yet, if one can’t sleep, how can one actually pursue…so at night when trying to fall asleep I dream of a day when I can sleep on a regular basis so I can wake up everyday, do whatever I can do to make money, and write…because that is what I want to do…so in the meantime, my Insomia remains, so for now on I’m not going to cry about it…I’m just gonna get the fuck up and write…and I’m thinking about making a comeback to political speeches like the one about Cindy…and another step toward taking ‘the city that never sleeps’ too seriously.

No comments: