Thursday, May 20, 2010

...The Right to Write - Exercise...


Initiation Tool - write 3 pages about anything.

I debate whether to start writing right now. My girlfriend’s next to me and I don’t like writing in the same room as other people. It is also hot in her apartment (as always!) – and so I choose to start this writing by listing excuses why not to write – and understand I have been in this place many times before, and more than likely, will again. Thinking optimistically, I hope this feeling comes again sooner than later. This goes with the idea that putting myself in front of an empty page more often will inevitably lead to more writing. It is that starting point that is hardest to get past. The questions, what to write about, where will this lead, probably nowhere, always come up. I said this to myself before, and it doesn’t make writing easier, but “just write, just write, just write”. I’ve attempted it before and many times have been pleased with what I’ve written, and then argue with myself why I don’t do this more often. Excuses, like, “my girlfriend just coughed and interrupted my flow” – quoted because it’s my new single available on iTunes shortly. And then I think, 2 or so pages to go to finish this exercise. I think I’m getting somewhere though with this writing. I’ll try to convey why I think so on the next page (written in notebook; refuse to edit!).

Before coming over to my girlfriend’s place, I stopped at Duane Reade (we call it Dwayne Wade) to buy a couple notebooks (this one, one of them!). One notebook, my plan is, to take notes on a mediation book I’m reading to help my insomnia problem. The other notebook is for doing writing exercises I read in The Right to Write by Julia Cameron. This is one of those exercises. I didn’t need her book to gain the perspective of “just write”, but it, I admit, is reassuring that a published writer gives advice that I had already told myself in the past. And, the only way for my self-advice, or her advice, to work, is to “simply write”. We will see where this leads.

The cashier at “Dwayne Wade” asked me, “What are you studying…to become a doctor?” I, with extreme confidence answered, “No, a teacher.” “Good luck.” I walked out and was a little mad at myself for not saying a writer. Why not? Or, play along with her and answer, “Yeah, a doctor…I’m becoming a gynecologist…you all set down there?”



This writing has slowed. It’s either lack of motivation, my hand hurting (was taking notes on meditation before writing this), or maybe because I’ve been sick the past two weeks – the “doctor” said it’s Bronchitis, wait, it’s pre-pneumonia, no, asthma. Whatever the sickness, whatever excuse for not writing, does it really matter? Maybe this won’t lead to anything, or maybe I can take the attitude that it will; if not me becoming a writer, at least finishing this damn exercise (one page to go). Self-imposed homework. I told myself in college, I wouldn’t write anything good until I do it without a homework assignment. Julia Cameron somewhat assigned this, but I do think this qualifies as a step toward writing without homework. Recently I’ve decided to go back to school. I’ve thought of grad-school for creative writing. Most of these programs ask you to declare – fiction, non-fiction or poetry. I reluctantly tell people I want to be a writer. They ask, “What do you want to write?” I very confidently have no defined answer.

I am going against Julia Cameron’s advice and I’ve started to think too much about what I’m writing instead of simply writing. She says our academics get in the way, when writing too often we try to be organized, have topic sentences, and wonder if this will lead anywhere – could it be published? That’s where I’m at now, trying to sum up this exercise nicely like it’s my preface to my next book. Next? – as if I’ve already written one, or expected myself to by the age of 27. I had no idea where this writing would lead – how could I possibly know it led to my second book? Well, it really hasn’t, but I should have written it that way – and one day when you read this…whatever…simply write, Garrett! (5/15/10)

No comments: