Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Read Write


The Shack by WM. Paul Young

I’ll leave the summary to the man, woman or child that penned the back of the book. The Shack by WM. Paul Young is the latest book I have conquered. In short, it is about Mack, a father, whose daughter was kidnapped and murdered. Mack had an unstable relationship with God, not a complete believer, and ends up having a conversation with God that changes his perspective. While reading it I jotted down some possible useful quotes…drum roll…here they are:

“There is something joyful about storms that interrupt routine…release you from expectations, performance demands, and the tyranny of appointments and schedules…united by a mutual excuse…” (Young 17).

We have all experienced this. It’s rainy outside. Can’t go outside or I’ll get all wet. So we stay in and for some reason are able to relax more, maybe watch a movie or enjoy reading without feeling guilty. I thought it was clever the way he put it.

“…I am neither male nor female, even though both genders are derived from my nature…for me to appear to you as a woman and suggest that you call me ‘Papa’ is simply to mix metaphors, to help you keep from falling so easily back into your religious conditioning…[you are not here to] reinforce your religious stereotypes” (Young 95).

I have been cynical of religion over my hall of fame career, and still stand by the “and rightfully so”. However, I don’t believe I am as cynical as I used to be, or at least with the idea of God. I think insomnia can lead to this and other imaginary conversations someone may have. The above quote is one of many that enable me to lean to the less cynical side. Below there are more of these quotes and I think they allow people to have their personal relationship with god rather than getting into religion and the I’m right and your wrong type of debates – and then a war breaks out.

“…pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly. And if it’s left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place” (Young 99).

The idea is birds were created to fly and humans were created to love/be loved. We can all relate to this. Personally dealing with insomnia I can relate to this. I graduated college with a sleeping disorder and for awhile didn’t feel alive anymore. Until recently I felt that way. I guess a person has to find something they love – a person, a cat (Bobby D!). For me it’s been both of those and also the start of reading and writing again and constantly listening to music.

“Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown” – unknown author - (Young 117).

This is what I was getting at with my reaction to the previous quote. I recently realized that to truly live you have to keeping experiencing and learning – add some books to your life, a new cat, a girlfriend and conversation with some peeps and that enables us to grow. As for the risk part, posting a blog about pizza with semen I think qualifies. I will be getting into some more risks soon.

Mack is talking with Jesus, and Jesus says, “…you’ve seen so little. For now most of what exists in the universe will be seen and enjoyed only by me, like special canvasses in the back of an artist’s studio” (Young 146).

I like this because I’ve got special canvasses that nobody’s seen. And that risk I talked about above includes showing people these canvasses.

“…You believe you are living to a higher standard than those you judge. Enforcing rules…like responsibility and expectations, is a vain attempt to create certainty out of uncertainty…rules cannot bring freedom; they have only the power to accuse” (Young 205).

I like this quote too like I liked the above ones too – otherwise I wouldn’t have posted them. But I like this one in particular because over the last few sleepless years I think I have become less judgmental. I mentioned becoming less cynical about religion. That along with simply not judging people anywhere near as much I believe comes from experience. People experience more and their flaws and insecurities are exposed more – most notably to themselves, and thus, why judge another person for trying to do their “thang”.

“God is a verb” – Buckminister Fuller - (Young 196). “…living, loving, responding, growing, reaping, changing, running, dancing, singing…Humans have a knack for taking a verb that is alive and full of grace and turning it into a dead noun or principle that reeks rules – then something growing and alive dies” (Young 206).

These two quotes are a good way to end this blog and explains my gained perspective from reading this book.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

generic xanax xanax recreational use snorting - xanax bars ladders

Anonymous said...

where to buy zolpidem zolpidem tartrate price walmart - buy zolpidem online pharmacy

Anonymous said...

cheap ativan overdose ativan lexapro - ativan recreational use dosage

Anonymous said...

xanax buy online no prescription xanax or ativan - para que sirve el alprazolam 0.5mg

Anonymous said...

diazepam cheap diazepam bula - diazepam for sale online usa

Anonymous said...

alprazolam xanax xanax online in australia - xanax 1 mg effects

Anonymous said...

xanax 2mg where to buy xanax without rx - xanax withdrawal neurontin

Anonymous said...

order lorazepam ativan how does it work - lorazepam 1 mg bijsluiter

Anonymous said...

is it illegal to buy xanax online buy xanax 2mg bars - xanax dosage long does last

Anonymous said...

cheap ativan online ativan vs xanax potency - ativan interdose withdrawal

Anonymous said...

soma pills carisoprodol 350 dosage - picture of carisoprodol 350 mg

Anonymous said...

zolpidem without prescription ambience mall gurgaon pvr contact number - buy ambien online canada

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien lyrica drug interactions - buy ambien safely

Anonymous said...

ambien sleep medication ambien for sale online no prescription - ambien side effects in elderly

Anonymous said...

cheap generic soma soma type of drug - buy somatropin forum

Anonymous said...

buy soma 350mg carisoprodol texas penalty group - somanabolic muscle maximizer women

Anonymous said...

buy valium uk medication prince valium rar - valium orange pill

Anonymous said...

ambien cost ambien 10mg snorting - ambience mall gurgaon bluo

Anonymous said...

brand valium price generic valium - valium information

Anonymous said...

generic diazepam valium dosage limit - cheap generic valium uk

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam cheap get diazepam online - diazepam valium vs xanax

Anonymous said...

valium pills msj valium for sale - valium without prescriptions

Anonymous said...

valium online pharmacy can you buy valium mexico - side effects valium 5 mg