Thursday, February 08, 2007

...lil sidebar with Jonathan Richman Live @ The Knitting Factory


Last Saturday I went to see Jonathan Richman at the Knitting Factory in NYC. It has taken a week to write this and that’s the kind of affect the performance had on me. I was entertainted, but saw more of a comedian than a musician…don’t jump to conclusions on me yet though…I enjoyed myself…The Knitting Factory was a small venue (approx. 200 peeps there), a pretty cool place to see live music, most of crowd was mid-30s-40s…all that thought JR was hilarious…however, as funny as we think he is, we showed up to hear his music…recognizable songs for me were “Dancing at the Lesbian Bar” and “Pablo Picasso” (‘never called an asshole’)…both two very funny songs, but JR isn’t Adam Sandler and we listen to these songs for the music and then additional chuckles…JR was joined only by a drummer…we’ll call him “boy” and he didn’t add much…and unfortunately JR’s instrumentation didn’t either……playing off the crowds enthusiasm for comedy, JR spun his g-tar around often, doing some comical dances…I don’t give out thumbs or anything, but I’ll just say I don’t know the last song JR played or whether he got an encore…I left before that could happen…after I finished my 6 buck Boddingtons…I will certainly check out future bands playing at the Knitting Factory again…and would like to eventually see Jonathan Richman with a band…


1 comment:

johnnykmusic said...

Jonathan Richman was heard to say after reading your review, "I brought out my band for the encore, smartass."