Monday, January 08, 2007

SONGS ON TRAINS

One of the most classic aspects of New York City is songs played on the trains. I’m not referring to everyone’s iPods that have now replaced the New York Times or Mitch Albom’s new inspirational, yet not really inspirational at all, book – or whatever reading material that riders used to use to avoid staring at all the other riders. I’m talking about the bum that walks on the train who has no grasp of our reality anymore, but has the guitar strapped to his back – and starts singing “Nowhere Man” (Song #1). Now, I know I just called him a bum, but singing a song about me was just straight-up rude. Here I am on my way to the interview stage of NYC Teaching Fellows –

“Oh, Garrett, you’ve gotten an interview to teach…good for you…what are you gonna teach?”…-“No…no…not a real interview…interview to get into……well, who really cares…I’m trying to tell a story here.”

…I am on a train to my future of being a History teacher and by the voice of this here writing you can tell I’m pursuing this career with vengeance. People say to not dwell on the past, but I can’t help it. I’m very nostalgic and I want to teach History! So, MC Bum is playing “Nowhere Man” and he asked, “Isn’t he a bit like you and me”, and the person next to me and I look at each other, shook our heads, smiled in agreement like the losers in the audience of a comedy club that clap and shake their heads at each other instead of fucking laughing…

…It was pretty cool though because that’s exactly how I felt on my way to an interview for a career I really will never per say pursue. One day I’ll eventually find myself in front of a high school class, living “Nowhere Man” and telling tomorrow’s leaders how the American Civil War was a myth – slavery still exists and my buddy Nate is in South Carolina right now trying to secede from the Union…I’m even living that song right now as I write. Did I ever pursue living alone in NYC, a city filled with 8 million people who I don’t know, and while watching Desperate Housewives (yeah I fucking watch it, Eva Longoria is one of the greatest of all time), writing an excerpt for my new blog that I’m thinking of calling “Songs on Trains”…yaw, this is what I pursued since I was 12, playing shortstop for the Little League Cardinals – then a “Nowhere Little Shit Wiseass”…and I’m still a wiseass. George Bush will enjoy this one. I’m a wiseass because instead of reading books, I sit on them…

…but here I am writing for this blog and in all honesty, music is often played on NYC trains and it fascinates me. Yeah, I just got a ruling. I can say fascinating. Hearing “Nowhere Man” actually made me relax and just say fuck it…let’s do this five minute teaching lesson and whatever happens, happens. I’m not saying it made my day or any sentimental crap like that. What made my day was finishing my lesson about the Civil War and then getting to stare at the cleavage sitting in the next desk while others presented their lessons…

…for now I’m just going to write anecdotes about songs on trains and who knows, maybe it will lead somewhere – for now I’m waiting for that bum to get back to me so I can interview him about why he chose “Nowhere Man”, and plus, he’s supposed to teach me how to play guitar. I gave him my email…all-n-together now –

Beatles – “Nowhere Man”

"He's a real nowhere Man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?
Nowhere Man, please listen,
You don't know what you're missing,
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command.

He's as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?
Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?
Nowhere Man, don't worry,
Take your time, don't hurry,
Leave it all till somebody else
lend you a hand.

He's a real Nowhere Man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody".

No comments: